[TEC] The Enigma Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving this forum: yes or no?

+4
colonel bogey
PaganWarrior
sushiguru
Outfielder
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Moving this forum: yes or no? Empty Moving this forum: yes or no?

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Hiya Teccies,

I am putting this message up on the public part of the forum because we want every Teccie to be able to read this and chime in on it. The message is about this forum.

As you all now, our Bossman Kaney is indisposed. Sad for him and sad for TEC and we all hope he comes back soon to lead us again.

In the meantime, Kaney’s absence is also very unpractical: Kaney is the owner and only forum administrator. So nobody but him can admit people to the forum, keep the forum tidy, remove forum members that are no longer TEC members, etc., etc.

We have been trying to get in touch with him in the last 6-8 weeks or so and we (especially Melt) are still trying to do so now. As you can see in the memberlist Kaney has been online once or twice to leave a message/update or two and even admit some new members, but that is it.

Right now:
  • We have no clue when Kaney comes back. Could be days, weeks or months;

• About 33% of our members have no admission to the members-only part of the forum and the info that’s on there.

So when Edit asked me last night if I could get him on the ‘members-only’ part of the forum and I had to tell him: “Sorry, I can’t help you as no one but Kaney can let you in” I figured maybe we should set up a new forum/meeting place/call it whatever you want. Kaney's return could be weeks or months away and more-and-more people are getting left behind, especially at the rate Guy is recruiting Smile Us DepComs are all for setting up shop somewhere else.

The question now is: are you?
It involves setting up a new forum, moving a lot of the content from this forum to that place and linking the current forum to the new one. And everybody gets to register yet once more Crying or Very sad

That’s a lot of work. Guy is willing to look into it (though he may need some help so feel free to contact him), but the investment has to pay off. So if you guys would rather wait for Kaney to return to run this forum to run the clan or at least give some of us (temporary) Administrator rights, that’s fine too.

Another question is: who’s gonna moderate it?
I don’t think the DepComs should also be the (active) moderators of a new forum. That just smells of Pravda. But if not us, then who? Obviously Kaney when he comes back, but until then who?

Got any answers? Please share! More questions? Please ask!

update: after posting this, things progressed at warp speed. So some of the stuff you just read about has allready been taken care off. Some of our ICT wizzards started talking Klingon Smile and the idea took off. By all means tho, keep reading and please voice your opinion!

Last edited by Outfielder on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Moving this forum: yes or no? Empty Re: Moving this forum: yes or no?

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Can we get tec.warsforum.com and keep the hosting here? If so, then we can start afresh with more than one admin, and setup the same structure that exists in this forum, then we can always port content over once Kaney surfaces.

Possibly.

Without seeing the admin interface it's difficult to know if we can get a db dump and access to import stuff or not. Could be tricky. If it was to prove too tricky, then we could always do a manual re-creation of the sticky and important topics and let it grow from there.

Another option for considering, perhaps. Register the domain www.enigma-clan.co.uk for £7 for 2 years (3 times cheaper than a .com) and host a phpBB ourselves somewhere. I can probably get it hosted for nowt. Then we can have a forum ad-free, and total control over it. It can always be packaged up and moved to another host at any time, should the clan require that it moves. We could also setup a WP site at the same domain for more clan stuff, with some nice interactive stuff. Been rooting around for 3 minutes and unearthed this: https://gist.github.com/2724734 which, with 30 secs of tweaking gives this: http://worldoftanks.eu/community/clans/500004548/api/1.1/?source_token=WG-WoT_Assistant-1.1.2 which would allow the WP site to be updated in real-time from WG, so no need for manual updating. Could also link to player stats, and if any player has their own replay site, to that, etc.

Did I mention that I'm also a web developer. I'm sure Col. Bogey could pitch in with his design skills and we could have an awesome clan site...

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  PaganWarrior Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:19 pm

I love you computer Geeks (said in a loving way)

You can solve so many problems, that seem difficult and make it all sound so easy Smile
PaganWarrior
PaganWarrior
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Male Posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:19 pm

Just had it confirmed - I can get a tec clan site hosted for free...

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm

PaganWarrior wrote:I love you computer Geeks (said in a loving way)

You can solve so many problems, that seem difficult and make it all sound so easy Smile

I love the fact that their API spits out nice JSON. So much easier to parse in PHP than XML Wink

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  PaganWarrior Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 pm

I love the fact that their API spits out nice JSON. So much easier to parse in PHP than XML

Hey, When did we switch to Klingon?????
PaganWarrior
PaganWarrior
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm

That's what we developers communicate in. You'd be amazed at the conversations between developers here - all acronym speak.

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Without seeing the admin interface it's difficult to know if we can get a db dump and access to import stuff or not. Could be tricky. If it was to prove too tricky, then we could always do a manual re-creation of the sticky and important topics and let it grow from there.
Another option for considering, perhaps. Register the domain www.enigma-clan.co.uk for £7 for 2 years (3 times cheaper than a .com) and host a phpBB ourselves somewhere. I can probably get it hosted for nowt. Then we can have a forum ad-free, and total control over it. It can always be packaged up and moved to another host at any time, should the clan require that it moves. We could also setup a WP site at the same domain for more clan stuff, with some nice interactive stuff. Been rooting around for 3 minutes and unearthed this: https://gist.github.com/2724734 which, with 30 secs of tweaking gives this: http://worldoftanks.eu/community/clans/500004548/api/1.1/?source_token=WG-WoT_Assistant-1.1.2 which would allow the WP site to be updated in real-time from WG, so no need for manual updating. Could also link to player stats, and if any player has their own replay site, to that, etc.

lol! lol! WUD? lol! lol!

You allready lost me! geek geek I read something Guy wrote about an add free site, so maybe you lads are on the same page.

Also (and I think that's what you may have been talking about in regards to the content of this forum), I did some checking on werther we could talk to the people owning/hosting this forum about them using 'godmode' to give some of us rights on this forum (to overrule Kaney so to speak), but that is only possible after 6 (SIX!) months of inactivity by Kaney.

Last edited by Outfielder on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 pm

OK; long story short, we can register an appropriate domain name and I can setup a clan website, including forums, which we can have hosted for free.

I can register www.enigma-clan.co.uk now, for £6.98 for 2 years and arrange the rest. All I'd need is the Dep Coms to agree that this is a suitable way for the clan to progress in Kaney's absence.

Of course - if the clan, collectively, thinks of a better domain name and it's free, then I'll buy that instead. I'll buy whatever so long as it's not a really expensive domain name. I'm skint...

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Well, us DepComs agree that the Forum needs to move.

I'm pretty sure we agree on "at (the) low(est possible) costs", certainly not at HIGH costs. I'm sure some of us can pitch in a few bob, but it's just a forum (he said without having a clue)

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Outfielder wrote:Well, us DepComs agree that the Forum needs to move.

I'm pretty sure we agree on "at (the) low(est possible) costs", certainly not at HIGH costs. I'm sure some of us can pitch in a few bob, but it's just a forum (he said without having a clue)

Oh, it will be much, much, more... Forums are just that start.

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:46 pm

sushiguru wrote:
Outfielder wrote:Well, us DepComs agree that the Forum needs to move.

Oh, it will be much, much, more... Forums are just that start.

GODZILLA AWAKENS! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Or, alternatively: "Cry havoc and let slip thye dogs of war" What a Face What a Face

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  PaganWarrior Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Am not rich but not poor either, I am willing to help with costs Smile
PaganWarrior
PaganWarrior
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 pm

So start point - need concensus on the domain name.

www.enigma-clan.co.uk was my thought. Any advance?

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  PaganWarrior Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:00 pm

I would go for that Smile IMO
PaganWarrior
PaganWarrior
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 pm

PaganWarrior wrote:I would go for that Smile IMO
Same here....tho I am wondering if we're not skipping over the 'what does the community want' part too quickly.....not trying to curb the enthousiasm btw....

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:08 pm

My initial take on that is, that the community had no option when we all joined the clan: the forum was provided and 66% of us are registered to use it. Having a new forum with a website is, imo, a better offering. I can't see anyone objecting to it, unless they have threads they're precious about, in which case we can manually move them over.

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Actually, 100% joined....just 33% can't do anything....they need to register again tho, right?

I am just trying to be careful not to go in STAVKA mode here......maybe too careful I dunno.

And yes, there may be some content we need to move manually.

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  sushiguru Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Outfielder wrote:Actually, 100% joined....just 33% can't do anything....they need to register again tho, right?

I am just trying to be careful not to go in STAVKA mode here......maybe too careful I dunno.

And yes, there may be some content we need to move manually.

I think, yes, they'll all need to register again, unless someone can get email addresses and usernames for all current forum members, in which case we can create them as users in a new forum. Probably. Worst case is they'd have to re-register, which won't take long. Especially with more than one mod.

sushiguru
Soldier
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  PaganWarrior Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:13 pm

IMO, I too can't see a problem with a new forum AND WEBSITE that is all singing and dancing. Then we can ALL communicate and swap idea's etc, without anyone feeling left out or being in the dark.

I am sure our clan members will see the benefits and jump on board Smile

PaganWarrior
PaganWarrior
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 pm

PaganWarrior wrote:IMO, I too can't see a problem with a new forum AND WEBSITE that is all singing and dancing. Then we can ALL communicate and swap idea's etc, without anyone feeling left out or being in the dark.

I am sure our clan members will see the benefits and jump on board Smile

OK, you got me convinced.....also Sushi, I think the only one who can get to the emails, etc. is the bossman......I can't because on this forum we are all just regular Joes....except for Kaney.....

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  colonel bogey Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Could always just use XSLT to transform the XML Sushi. Not sure if the power conduits to the warp generator could take it though Captain!!

Seriously though, I'm happy to help in any way I can. Creating graphics, buttons etc, or any jquery/design that needs doing. Stuff like sorting out the logo at the top of this page, retouching cogs that have been cropped, extending background and matching blacks in banner background.

Definately a good idea. Cant see why anyone would object.

colonel bogey
Soldier
Soldier

Male Posts : 51

http://www.tbflc.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:32 pm

colonel bogey wrote:Could always just use XSLT to transform the XML Sushi. Not sure if the power conduits to the warp generator could take it though Captain!!

OK, this time I KNOW you're messing with us! lol!

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Melt2 Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 pm

well

this is something i had also been thinking about

just wondering how much hassle it would cause swapping everything over and recreating such threads as "jam or cream"

of course it also admits that kaney might never be coming back

i have tried every way i can think of of trying to contact him
ardjan is literally a last hope as he can go and knock on his door
but even he seems to have vanished
did anyone notice a bomb land on den haag?

Sad
Melt2
Melt2
Treasurer
Treasurer

Female Posts : 125

Back to top Go down

Post  Outfielder Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Melt2 wrote:well

this is something i had also been thinking about

just wondering how much hassle it would cause swapping everything over and recreating such threads as "jam or cream"

of course it also admits that kaney might never be coming back

i have tried every way i can think of of trying to contact him
ardjan is literally a last hope as he can go and knock on his door
but even he seems to have vanished
did anyone notice a bomb land on den haag?

Sad

Actually, today is Prinsjesdag (Day of the Princes), which is comparable with the American State of the Union.....only it's not a president but our Queen Beatrix who does the talking after she gets to Parliament....where she drives to in her Gouden Koets (the Golden Coach). So today is not a good day to go to The Hague on a Search and Rescue mission because the place is packed with tourists and BoBo's (pretentieus rich folks & politicians who make a lot of noise but dont actually do anything).....

Outfielder
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next